Friday, March 8, 2019

The Big 4-0

It happened...hard to believe. I turned 40! I had been thinking about this impending milestone for a long time. Not really because I was scared of it, but because it made me think about what else I wanted to accomplish in my life. While I am extremely satisfied with where I have been and with where I am right now, I realized that I'm no longer a young chick which made me want to do more. I'll work out the details of what that means later on- but on December 3- all I wanted to do was relax and have fun!

I knew exactly how I wanted to celebrate my birthday...with a spa day at the Umstead Hotel. Dad and Heather had given Al and me gift cards to the spa a long time ago, and we hadn't used them yet. I decided this would be the perfect opportunity. I used mine to get a massage (which comes with the privilege of using the facility all day long) and Al used hers to buy us an extravagant lunch at Heron's. I was so excited!

The hotel was decorated for Christmas...look at this gorgeous tree decorated with real amaryllis flowers.


Lunch was such a luxurious treat. If you don't think you can drop $150 on lunch at the fanciest restaurant in town, you'd be wrong! We took our time, laughed, drank and ate some delicious food. We were having so much fun, I lost track of time and almost missed my massage appt!


I stayed at the spa for seven hours. It was heaven. I read my book, my magazines, napped, journaled, jacuzzied, drank hot tea, and loved every minute of the solitude. I came home refreshed and excited to find this enormous poinsettia on my doorstep- a birthday present from Dad and Heather. So sweet.

My husband was also sweet. He had set up some cheese and my favorite bottle of wine. He had bought me a huge birthday balloon and gave me a neat gift- a guide book for the Pacific Northwest- a trip we hope to take together someday soon. Right now it's too hard with him starting a new job. Collins made me a sweet bracelet, and the kids were so excited to celebrate my birthday. I felt very loved.

We went to dinner to my favorite Mexican place- Gonza's tacos. Is there really a better dinner than a margarita and a Mexican flag?? No, there is not.
 


We came back home where Brian had planned a Howling Cow ice cream party. So sweet, but we were all so full that we could hardly eat any. But Collins sure tried. :)

My birthday celebration was nothing elaborate- no big parties or trip- but it made me so happy. I felt so loved and relaxed the whole day, and that's a pretty special feeling. I'm excited to see what year 40 holds for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment