Monday, May 4, 2020

Addie Goes to Kindergarten! And Luke's First Day

Our sweet Addie is officially off to kindergarten! Here she is on her first day of school so excited to go to Lacy with her big sister. 

She was not the only Fork kid with a first day in front of them. Luke had his first day in the 2 Day 2's at Hayes Barton that same day. It was a big day!

No smile, then cheese smile, then a gotcha smile. :)

We got a cute first-day picture with all three...
 
Addie was first for drop-off,  and she (and her Father) were totally over all my picture taking...but I'm sorry, it's her first day of school! It will be documented!
 

 

We dropped off our sweet Addie with miraculously no tears from anyone. She walked straight into that classroom with a smile on her face and sat right down. She did not get upset, and strangely I did not get upset. When we dropped Collins off for kindergarten, Brian and I both cried on the way home. I had been mourning Addie going to elementary school for a long time because I knew that once she went, things would forever be different and our time together would be shorter. I saw that quickly with Collins. 

But this second time around, I was more excited than sad. Addie WANTED to go to kindergarten, Collins WANTED Addie to be there, and I knew from experience how many exciting things were ahead for her. Maybe time has taught me that things happen when they are supposed to, and this was the time for Addie to take this next big step. She was ready, and on that second day of September, she started a thrilling new experience and we were so proud of her.

Now, precious little Luke, was another story. His first year of preschool did not go so well. He finally adjusted the last few months of MMO's giving me hope that this second year would go better. So here we are ready to start a new year...this year Luke would go on Tuesdays and Thursdays.




For the 2's, Luke has Ms. Kelly Valdespino and Ms. Karen Skaggs. I already knew Karen well because she is the preschool director at church. I did not know Kelly before this, only knew that she went to our church. But they funny thing is she is the first person I met at Megan Camp's Spring party back in June. She seemed so sweet and soft spoken, and that night I found out that she is from Hickory! We were immediately bonded. So I took Luke in this first day excited about his new teachers. Also, he was put in a very boy-heavy class so I was hoping he would make some new friends this year.


He did cry when I left, but not as much as he used to so that was positive! I've got my fingers crossed that Luke is going to LIKE preschool this year. :)

So Luke survived his first day, and then it was time to go pick up the girls. I was ITCHING to find out how Addie's first day had gone. This is how we found C and her friends when we got to school (b/c 3rd graders have recess the last period of the day)….crazy girls!
There was a new pick-up system for the kindergarteners this year so we had to go to the small playground where a teacher would release her when we checked in. When she came out, she had a half smile on her face and I asked, "So how was it?!??" and her response, "Long". No sugar-coating there! It's true- to go from a 3-hour preschool day to a 7-hour elementary school day is probably the hardest adjustment for these little people. We eventually got some more positive details out of her, and realized she had a good first day. But she was ready to go home, and I was definitely ready for her to come home. 


Relieved to finally get through this big first day- both for Addie and Luke. Next step, get into the routine of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment