Sunday, July 31, 2016

A Visit to the Fire Station

My friend Alex is a master planner and organizer. So it shouldn't have surprised me when we set up a play date for Collins and Bennett that she asked me, "Do you guys want to go visit a fire station?" I didn't know you could even do something like that! We said definitely, and she set it up for us to visit Fire Station #16 one Friday morning. 

These nice firefighters took one hour out of their day to give us a tour of the truck and station and to answer all our burning questions (and I had a lot). I had no idea that each station houses just one truck, how the firefighters are first responders so they are sent out before EMS to check out problems, how heavy their equipment is, and how loud that alarm sounds when they get a call (they did a test call so we could hear it and it scared Addie to death). 

The kids got to sit in the truck, shoot the water hose, and even see the engine inside one of the trucks. Addie didn't like it when they lifted the front of the truck. She said, "Tell them to put it down!". :)

I was so impressed with these guys and how they made time to teach our kids about the important work they do every day along with some fire safety tips. Now every time we pass a fire station, the girls make a comment. I think their morning at the fire station made a real impression!








No comments:

Post a Comment