Saturday, August 22, 2020

Thanksgiving Day

Up bright and early Thanksgiving Day and excited to do the Turkey Trot for the second year in a row. My small people even got up in time to send me off for the race (but I'm pretty sure they got up early to make sure the hot chocolate would be ready).


I love this race because you see so many people you know, you run down Ridge Road and through all the neighborhoods that I am accustomed to running through normally, and especially because the race goes right by our house! My neighbor, Sarah, captured this neat image of the Turkey trotters coming through Blenheim.

My final results were good- I ran a pretty fast race! This made me feel better about the shocking amount of calories I was about to consume over the next 48 hours. We were off to Donna and Marty's for Thanksgiving meal #1, and it was delicious!
 



Collins's pie was on point! During the Turkey Trot someone who lives off Glen Eden stands in the road with a sign and polls runners on which kind of Thanksgiving pie is their favorite. It's really cute to hear runners panting and shouting out, "chocolate", "pumpkin", etc. As I was running I shouted "pecan", and if you tasted Collins's pie that day that would have been your vote too. 



Family picture time got a little silly...






We had a great time sharing a fun meal together, and then we hit the road for Hickory...


I try so hard to get a decent family photo at the holidays, but you can see that it is not so easy. That's why I have to try multiple times much to my family's chagrin. We look like deer in headlights here!

For the first time this year, we didn't get together with Dad's side of the family for Thanksgiving. The group had grown to almost 30 people, and physically we were running out of space to put everybody. We were a little sad to not see everybody, but we decided to do our own thing and what made it super special was having Sawyer be a part of the holiday for the first time! I was so excited to spend time with this sweetheart on his first Thanksgiving.


Dad had his whole menu planned out, and per normal, he was thinking outside the box (I love this about him). He decided to do "Thanksgiving on a Sandwich" which meant stuffing, cranberry sauce, plus the turkey all together on a good roll. It was a great, and so was enjoying the setting sun and time with each other. 




From start to finish, from Raleigh to Hickory, it was a special Thanksgiving, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment