Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Kindergarten Update


Kindergarten is no joke! I'm amazed at the things Collins is learning in her first semester of school. I thought she would be eased in to surviving a seven-hour work day with 23 other 5-year-olds, but I was wrong. She spends her days writing sentences, learning how to add numbers, drawing elaborate pictures, practicing counting to 100, and sounding out a surprising number of sight words.

We recently had our first parent-teacher conference with Mrs. Dalrymple, and I got overwhelmed with the work load she is handling! I know she must be overwhelmed. Collins is doing a good job and met all expectations on her first report card, but I left the conference feeling like we should be doing more at home.   

And then I remembered that she is a kindergartner who is very bright and listens well, and I relaxed...the reading and math will come in due time. In the meantime, she is making new friends, learning how to survive a long school day, and coming home inspired to play teacher. That is good enough for now!

And how cute is her first official kindergarten photo?

No comments:

Post a Comment