Monday, August 14, 2017

Fourth of July

First thing upon waking up...they donned their new patriotic outfits. They wasted no time in getting into their red, white and blue! It's sweet how Collins helped get Addie dressed...


So they weren't too pleased when I told them to take off the cute new outfits and put hiking clothes on instead. :) We were heading to Umstead!


I think they were traumatized from our difficult hike in the mountains over Memorial Day so they were not too eager to take on another trail, but we assured them this was an easy one...and I also bribed them with Bojangles for after they finished it!



Next up? Canoe ride. Turns out they weren't so eager to be out on the lake when they got hungry and knew that fried chicken was next on the itinerary. :)





Luke and I did not get to board a boat, but took an extended hike instead.


I got an itch to attempt cherry hand pies for our dessert that night...


and then the girls had the idea to make star cookies so I caved and made two homemade desserts. You should have seen the disaster that was the kitchen!


We had a cookout planned with the Tripps and then Lora got sick so we were on our own that night. But I still had to pull out the sparklers I had bought for the party...completely freaked the girls out!



No real fireworks for us that night. I will look forward to the day the kids can stay up late enough for us to see fireworks. The holiday was not overly exciting this year, but it was a day off with some quality time spent together which is always a special thing.

Oh, and this cherry hand pie...YUM.


No comments:

Post a Comment