Friday, February 1, 2013

A New Gig

Almost exactly two years ago, I stopped working full-time to concentrate full-time on a sweet little baby. Being at home with Collins has definitely been one of the great joys of my life. But now that she's almost two and we've gotten ourselves into a comfortable routine, I've decided to take on a new work project.

I recently got hired to help plan a Women's Health Conference for Duke Medicine. The event is in May in Durham so it's only a couple of months of part-time work, and I'll squeeze it in during naps and preschool and whenever else I can find time.

I've definitely felt a little rusty going back into the professional world again. Putting on dress clothes, attending meetings, attempting a mail merge, going on a site visit- it's all been fun but it's also felt a bit odd. I've just been out of this world for a long time, and it's no longer my comfort zone. While she napped today, I made phone calls to some vendors I used to work with. It was nice to re-connect, but it was also nice when Collins woke up and we crawled inside a tent together, and I read her "Where the Wild Things Are". Two very different worlds!

No comments:

Post a Comment