Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tastes like Summer

Growing up, I liked pot-luck dinners at church- especially in the summer when we'd have ice cream socials and people would bring big batches of all flavors of homemade ice cream. I had watched my Mom make her own ice cream (her tutti fruity rocked!), and it seemed really complicated with all the salt and ice and prep time. So I had never tried to make my own until this weekend. Missy let me borrow her handy little ice cream maker and who knew how easy this could be? You mix a few simple ingredients together, pour it into the machine and 20 minutes later you have yummy-ness. I made a batch of peach ice cream for Marty's birthday and wanted to pass the recipe along.

Peach Ice Cream

3 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups, sugar
5 fresh peaches, pitted, chopped and pureed in a food processor or blender
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

In large bowl, mix together eggs and sugar until smooth (I used hand mixer). Stir 3 cups of the pureed peaches into the mixture. Stir in cream, half and half, vanilla extract and salt and mix well. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to machine's instructions. Makes 2 quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment