Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Charleston Wedding Weekend

I was laying in the bed with Addie- both in our pjs- when Brian came home from work needing an answer. Stay home or go to Charleston? After much back and forth, we decided to go. Which meant I had approximately 15 minutes to shower, pack our three kids for a weekend at Gigi's, and pack myself for a fancy wedding weekend away in Charleston. No problem, right? We were under the gun because if we did not leave in the next 15 minutes, we would not make it to Charleston in time for Brian's wedding rehearsal as best man!

We dumped our sick children on Donna and Marty's doorstep (we will owe them big for a long time!) and raced down 95 towards Charleston. We barely made it. I had felt better on the car ride down and sipped on a Sprite, but unfortunately that backfired on me when I got to the hotel room. I got sick again and felt feverish so made the call to skip the rehearsal dinner. I hated to miss it- I had a fun new dress after all- but knew there was no way I could eat and drink and have fun that night. I just felt really bad. So at 5:30 p.m., I got in the bed and slept until 8:30 a.m. Yep, pretty much slept 15 hours straight. My body needed rest I think. It had been through a year of sleepless nights and food poisoning, and it just needed rest.

The only view I got that night...



I woke up the next morning feeling like a new woman. And I'm so glad I made the decision to go because I had a delightful day in Charleston! I had never been to the city during the holidays, and it was incredibly festive. Brian and I had breakfast, then I strolled through the market and sipped coffee as musicians played Christmas music. Front doors, lanterns and churches were decorated for Christmas, and it was COLD which made it feel more festive. I was by myself (Brian has groomsmen duties), my phone had died so I was unplugged from the world, and I got to shop on King Street all day and get my nails done. HEAVEN! I had a wonderful day.

Meanwhile back in Raleigh, my children were doing much better. The girls at least. Addie was back to normal, and Collins finally got the sickness out of her system. The real issue was Luke, and the nasty cold he had developed. He ended up being the sickest child that weekend and had a terrible time sleeping.


Although you couldn't tell it from this picture...

Stock and Heather got married in the oldest church in Charleston- St. Michaels. It was built in 1752 and had these interesting pews that looked like cattle stalls. :) They had a nice (long) wedding...


and then the reception! It was at a renovated warehouse on the other side of town. We had a great time. I loved the new dress I got for the occasion, and Brian rocked the tux as usual. It was really fun hanging out with the Davidson crowd as we won't get too many more weddings out of this crew!



The weekend started off really rocky, but could not have ended better. Spending a weekend away with Brian, catching up on sleep, experiencing Christmas in Charming Charleston, and having a fun night out was exactly what I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment