Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Settling In

Wow- first grade is a different animal. In a good way! There is so much independence given by the teacher and expected of the students. They can go to the bathroom down the hallway by themselves and are dismissed from class without any teacher supervision. Collins now walks in confidently by herself in the mornings and reports that 1st grade is "easier" than kindergarten. She told me one day last week was "super fun", and appears to have made lots of new friends.

After an anxious kindergarten year, this all makes a mama's heart happy. :)

Brian and I went for the PTA open house last week, and were happy to see her classroom and talk to her teachers. I also unexpectedly volunteered myself to be Room Parent when no one else spoke up. Hope that doesn't get me into trouble! We also got to see some artwork Collins did that was hanging in the hall...


Writing about sharing bunk beds with her sister!


Classroom rules: No chewing gum! :)


And the other day I suggested that Collins read to Addie instead of me, and she did! Her reading is really improving, and I love hearing her tiny voice reading to her sister.



Collins had one issue early on with a little boy in her class who sat next to her and was very distracting and disturbing to her. She got upset about it, and then decided to ignore him and that helped. Then he got moved to a different table which made her really happy. I think she handled this difficult situation well.

She is also having homework each night with some required reading. So far, not many complaints.

Overall- really pleased with how well Collins is settling into first grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment