Wednesday, April 19, 2017

National Champions!!!

They actually did it...the Tar Heels won the 2017 National Championship! In a season so caught up in avenging last year's championship game loss...in a season with a team so talented and experienced that nothing short of a championship was ok...in a season with bad losses and some key injuries...it's hard to believe they could withstand those pressures and actually cut down the nets. But they did...and it was so awesome. We could not been more proud of our Heels!

I was so happy Missy, Andrea and Laura came over to watch the game with me...otherwise I might have fallen asleep if I was watching by myself. That is how little sleep I am getting with Luke these days!

We decided to have a Goodberry's ice cream party to celebrate the last basketball game of the year...


It was a tense (and ugly) game with Carolina pulling ahead of Gonzaga until they evened it up in the final minutes. Of course at this point, Luke wakes up and needs to eat...sigh. So I bring him downstairs to the madness (lots of girly squealing) and feed him. Luckily, he finishes with about a minute left and is wide awake to watch the Tar Heels win their sixth national championship! I loved that he saw this moment because he was tied to last year's championship game too. After we lost that heartbreaker, I found out the next morning that I was pregnant with him. I felt like things had come full circle! :)


The 2016-17 team was phenomenal. They were hard-working, had a great chemistry, had fun out on the court, and were unselfish. It was so much fun watching them play all year, and they were completely deserving of the national championship. But I think we all heard an audible sigh of relief when they won...there had been so much pressure all year for this to happen. Expectations are always pretty high when you're a Tar Heel, but this season those expectations fueled them all the way to the championship. They were not going to be denied, and it was so cool to watch the whole thing play out. This is one season we'll always remember. GO HEELS!




No comments:

Post a Comment