Thursday, January 14, 2021

Birthday at the Beach

Homemade biscuits, then a trip to the beach...what more could a birthday boy ask for?

 


We lucked out that Donna and Marty had their beach house the weekend of Brian's birthday so we could celebrate in one of his favorite places...


January temps? No problem. Kids do not feel cold so they went right to work on the beach...

admiring the new bench and doing a little happy dance...


and posing- Addie's always posing. :)

Several big holes and big feathers later, they were ready to chill at the beach house (that's code for eat Gigi's spaghetti for dinner).



The next morning, we gave Brian his birthday present...a stand-up paddleboard rental for him and Collins! He was a bit dubious, but I convinced him to give it a go in the winter and he LOVED it. And Addie, Luke and I had fun running around trying to get cool pictures of them on the water.






One fun ride, and Brian was wondering- should we get a SUP?

This pretty girl (and a pretty sunset) helped distract her Dad while Collins and Gigi made birthday preparations at the house...






Our little cake decorator...hard at work! And did you know that she likes to reverse people's ages? 


A great birthday party for a great Dad, husband, and son...




Up the next morning to see the sun peak out over the ocean...

As long as we've been coming to Wrightsville, I had never explored Harbor Island before. It's the island neighborhood right before you cross over the bridge to come to Tower 7 or the Blockade Runner. It's this charming neighborhood with all these gorgeous trees and pretty houses, both big and small. Many of them wrap around the waterway so it was really fun exploring by bike.


Of course, the kids were happy to miss out on the real estate tour- happy to stay back at the beach house and do this...

We eventually made it back to the beach to take in the surf clinic...


Our kids like to dig (large) holes rather than sand castles...





C is always the child to get in the freezing ocean, and this trip was no different...



Brian and Collins had so much fun paddle boarding that I decided I needed to do it. I had a wobbly start, but thankfully never fell in. I took my phone so I could take pictures so that was the main reason I didn't want to get wet- I didn't want to ruin my phone! But while on the paddleboard a news update popped up- Kobe Bryant had just died in a helicopter crash. That was such shocking news to receive. When a huge celebrity dies, it's always surreal- but especially when it's a sports icon who is right around your own age. His daughter also died, so it was extremely sad. I'll always remember where I was when I learned that he passed away.



I tried to not let the sad news ruin my time on the water. I explored a little island near the rental place, and it was so peaceful.






One final polar bear swim, and it was time for our birthday weekend at the beach to come to an end. 



It was the perfect way to celebrate our favorite 14-year-old!

No comments:

Post a Comment