Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Back Story

 
So how we came about this house is a funny story...

It all started back in October- the weekend before Halloween when we were in Hickory. Out of the blue, I received an email from Susan Rogers asking if we wanted to come see her house. The reason she emailed me is because she remembered a conversation we had a long time ago.

Almost exactly three years ago, I was pulling out of our house to take Addie to story time and Susan just happened to pull out of her driveway at the exact same time. Turns out she was headed to storytime too with her grandson. I had never really met her before, but we chatted at the library and turns out she was friends with Donna and her daughter Louise used to have playdates with Brian! But since she and her husband, Richard, had bought and restored a historic property in Virginia, they mostly lived there so we didn't see them much.

Well after we made that connection that day, something made me want to reach out to her with a crazy request. It was January of 2015, and we had just sorted through all the Christmas presents and tried to find a home for all the new stuff. It made me realize that we were quickly running out of space and that we'd eventually need a bigger house. Something made me email Susan and tell her that if she and Richard ever wanted to sell their house, then we would be interested in buying it. I said this without ever being inside it...I just liked the way it looked from the outside and it looked bigger than our current house. She responded that that was an interesting idea when the time came for them to downsize, but then it was dropped and we all went about our normal lives.

Until she emailed me three years later...apparently the time had finally come for them to downsize and did we want to come see their house??? Of course we were not in town at the time and neither was Brian. He was in Indiana at the State/Notre Dame game. I assumed we could not afford their house, but he said it was worth taking a look.

So when I got back from Hickory with the kids, I took them and we went and saw it. And I fell in love with it immediately. It had the fifth bedroom we needed, a playroom in the back of the house off the kitchen, a breakfast nook, and a wonderful flow and feel to it.

Brian went to see it the next morning when he got back and liked it, but wasn't as convinced as I was that it was the right house for us. After all...we weren't even looking to move!

So over the next few months, we were able to take our time and think through the decision and work with the Rogers on potentially buying their home. Finally in January, we made the decision to make an offer and they accepted! They were wonderful to work with and everything kind of just fell into place making me feel like it was all meant to be.

I love that Brian played in this house when he was little, that a nice family of five was so happy here, and that it was well loved and taken care of over the years. It just feels right, and I am grateful for the way everything unfolded.

No comments:

Post a Comment