Saturday, June 10, 2017

Air Show Disaster

No planes crashed, thank goodness. But there was lots of melting and crying by little girls who were having no fun at all. Air show disaster!

It was probably all my fault. Brian had wanted to take Collins to see the "very cool" show at Seymour Johnson Airforce Base in Goldsboro. But then I got to thinking that the whole family should go have this cool experience...no big deal to take everybody, right? This is where my husband usually talks me down from my unrealistic dreaming, and he did...but he also wanted us all to be together and to see cool planes. So off we went!

The drive down there was no problem as the girls were enthralled as I read them the chapter book, "The Magic Treehouse". But once we arrived on base, we had to take a hot bus ride to the show and then walk around with a million people in the blazing sun and wait in long lines to get inside the planes. In theory, Brian was right- it was VERY cool. The planes were enormous, and it was extremely interesting to walk inside one that transports military vehicles across the ocean. BUT...not for our 6-year-old and 3-year-old that day.

We finally gave up on the heat and the lines and were heading for the exit when out of no where a jet whizzed by right above our heads. The noise was deafening (literally it was like a bomb going off) and the girls immediately burst into tears. I have to say it scared me to death too. I don't think they should have loud planes that close to pedestrians- even at an air show. It was just too much.

So after everyone calmed down and we made it back to our car, I asked the girls if they learned one new thing that morning, and Collins responded, "Yes, that I never want to go to an air show again." :)


 
 
 

After the show, we had planned to go to Brian's favorite BBQ restaurant, Wilber's. Well, as we were heading in the front door, somehow my finger slid across the edge of the "Open" sign on the door and got badly cut. It started gushing blood, and then I started worrying about cutting it on a metal sign. We ate lunch, Luke started crying, I was bleeding....like I said earlier, disaster.

So turns out, I did need a tetanus shot when we got back to Raleigh. Sigh...it was just one of those days. This is what I get for never wanting to miss out on a cool experience. It gets me into trouble sometimes, and that Saturday, it definitely did!


No comments:

Post a Comment