Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Still Adjusting

It's been almost four months since sweet little Addie joined our family, and I'm realizing that we're all still adjusting.

Once I think I have finally hit my stride juggling two, something happens to take me down a notch. We were at the bookstore the other day when Collins's foot started hurting from a blister. She started wailing (loudly) and people started staring. Then that upset Addie, and she started screaming. I started moving us towards the exit- quickly- and then Collins demanded to be carried. I must have looked a mess attempting to carry a large child, Addie in her car seat, and our books because some random woman took pity on me and offered to help me carry things to the car. But the good news is that I have finally figured out how to run errands with them both- most importantly the grocery store . The baby carrier has been a life saver!

Collins had been doing really well adjusting to her new sibling, but the last few weeks she has struggled. All of a sudden it's, "Mommy, my legs don't work- carry me" and "I want to sit in your lap NOT Addie". There have been many meltdowns, and I have struggled at how to handle them. I want her to realize this is our new reality, but I also want to be sympathetic that this is a huge adjustment for a three-year-old.

Brian is still adjusting to the lack of sleep. Addie had been stretching out her night feedings, but started regressing for some reason. He is disciplined enough to still get up for his 5:30 a.m. workouts, but keeps asking- "when  is Addie going to finallly sleep through the night???"

And finally, little Addie is adjusting too- to her new room. Last night was the first night she has slept in her own room and crib. It was time to move her out of our bedroom, and she did pretty well in her new digs!

We are all adjusting slowly, but surely. Once we hit the half-year mark with our baby surely we will have it all figured out, right? Or maybe by then, crazy will be the new normal. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment