Sunday, May 26, 2019

A Peony Lesson

Last year, after we moved into the house in April and then the peonies began blooming in May- I turned into a crazy person. I have never looked at, talked about, or obsessed more about peonies in my life. Finally, after all these years, I had my favorite flowers blooming rapidly right in my own front yard. Obviously, it was more than I could handle. :)

This year, I was ready for the blooms or so I thought. My buds finally appeared but didn't seem to be anywhere close to blooming. Then I came home the next day to find this...the most gorgeous first flower!


And sad to say, but this was the climactic moment of this year's peony season. Many more peonies bloomed, and I got to have several beautiful vases around the house.. 




But the flowers never thrived. The blooms were not as abundant, not as hardy, and not as beautiful as last year. I think I figured out that too many weeds choked them out. Just as the peonies were starting to bloom this year, the weeds starting appearing too. But I couldn't get to them quickly enough. Before I knew it they were everywhere! I think they hurt the growth of the peonies. 


A lesson learned! I am not a gardener in any way, but I keep learning more about this yard and how to take care of it. Last year was stellar- this year was a disappointment. But next year I'll be ready when those weeds pop up. Peonies- I have your back!



No comments:

Post a Comment